Nov 9th-10th. Showcasing Solutions For Multi-Platform Live & On-demand Streaming, Transcoding and Workflow Automation, QC
Vidchecker is an easy to install Windows software application for PCs/servers. It removes the labor intensive tasks of manually checking conformance by eye and hand, the need to check video/audio compliance with waveform monitors and audio loudness meters, and to manually correct levels with video processing amplifiers, and other tools. The GUI is accessed through a web browser either on the local machine or remotely over a network. It is optimized for checking file-based video before and after distribution, and for use by broadcasters for checking files received from post production and content distributors to ensure that file, video and audio parameters and levels are correct and ready for broadcast.
Multiple networked PC servers with Vidchecker licenses can work together as a Vidchecker Grid for enterprise installations requiring very large file throughputs.
Benefits of Vidchecker include:
- Thorough checks of file, video and audio parameters as well as video and audio quality, legality and correctness
- Not only checks video and audio, but also intelligently corrects out of spec video levels and audio levels including loudness
- Highly cost-effective: full-featured QC at a price that the smallest post production companies and broadcasters can comfortably afford, and fully scalable using the Vidchecker Grid for enterprise installation with very high file volumes
- Supports sub SD, SD, HD, 4K and mixed workflows
- 4 levels of checking – information, warning, fail on error and correct on error
- Supplied standards templates including DPP and Netflix plus ‘1 Click’ auto test template from known good media
- Built-in media player to play the video at alert points by clicking on the alert thumbnails
- Easy workflow support – use multiple watch folders with filtering, automatically send reports, move files on pass/fail/correction
- Comprehensive online Help
- API web services for full integration with production and broadcast workflows and media asset management systems. The growing list of integration partners can be seen at Integration Partners.
Intelligently correct out of limit Video Levels:
- Video luma level – including black levels
- Video chroma – color limit errors
- Video RGB – gamut/legality problems
Video ‘legalizers’ simply clamp or clip peak values that exceed the limits. This squeezes the range of picture contrast, can produce color artefacts where the colors become saturated and visual artefacts when the video is re-encoded. Vidcheck has developed patented intelligent algorithms that dynamically analyze the image to correct limit violations while maintaining the integrity and quality of the picture.
Original over limit highlights
Legalizer color artefacts
Intelligently correct out of limit audio peak levels and audio loudness (CALM & EBU R128):
- Audio peak level – levels that are too high.
- Audio Loudness measured to ITU-R BS.1770 and corrected to required program loudness levels – makes sure that audio levels are correct and legal to ATSC A/85 (CALM) and EBU R128 requirments.
- DialNorm correction.
The US Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act requires the Federal Communications Commission to regulate the audio of commercials from being broadcast at louder volumes than the program material they accompany. CALM has become law in Canada and in the USA, so meeting this legislation is vital for all broadcasters and post-production houses in North America.
The ATSC practice A/85 for Audio loudness for DTV recommends use of ITU-R BS.1770-3 for loudness measurement and techniques to control peak levels and loudness. The EBU has issued loudness normalization recommendation R128 and Tech 3341. These are all covered by Vidchecker including auto correction for out-of-spec levels.